Recent and Upcoming Workshops, Publications, and Educational Sessions
Max A. van Balgooy
- “Mild-Mannered Superheroes Rarely Make A Difference,” keynote address for the Small Museums Association, February 2013
- “Ordinary People, Extraordinary Times” in History News (forthcoming)
- Luncheon speaker, Virginia Association of Museums annual conference, Virginia, March 2013.
- Instructor, Historic House Museum Issues and Operations, American Association for State and Local History, Nashville, TN, April 25-26, 2013
- Panelist, “Destination Travel: Economic Development through Heritage Tourism,” California Preservation Foundation annual conference, Anaheim, CA, May 1-3, 2013.
- Technical leaflet: “The Many Flavors of Tours” in History News (forthcoming)
- Workshop instructor, Beginning at the End: Evaluation as a Planning Tool, Southeastern Museums Conference annual meeting, Williamsburg, Virginia, November 2012
- “Embezzlement: Is it Our Dirty Secret?” in Exhibitionist (Fall 2012)
- “Historic House Museums in the 21st Century,” Encyclopaedia of Local History, 2nd Edition (2012)
- Adjunct Professor, Interpretation of Historic Sites and House Museums, Museum Studies Program, George Washington University, Fall 2012
- Guest speaker with Conny Graft, Historic House Museum/Visitor Voices Breakfast, American Association for State and Local History annual meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, October 2012
- Moderator, Re-imagining Historic Sites: Three Roads to the Same Destination, American Association for State and Local History annual meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, October 2012
- Moderator, Meshing Mission and Community: Identifying Strategies for Engagement, American Association for State and Local History annual meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, October 2012
- Speaker, Historic House Museum Coalition of Washington, DC, September 17, 2012.
- Educational Tour leader with Elizabeth Milnarik, Residential Planning in the Nation’s Capitol: Connecting the New Deal with New Urbanism, American Institute of Architects National Convention, Washington, DC, May 18, 2012
- Webinar panelist, “Building a Stable Financial Foundation for Your Historic Site,” California Preservation Foundation, March 13, 2012
Mary A. van Balgooy
- Opening reception, Carefree California: Cliff May and the Romance of the Ranch, University Art Museum, Santa Barbara, California, February 2012 (part of the Getty’s Pacific Standard Time project).
- “Before LA: Cliff May’s Beginnings in San Diego,” Journal of San Diego History, Fall 2011 (57:4).
- Moderator, “Remember the Ladies: Commemorating Women’s Sacrifices, Achievements, and Rights,” American Association for State and Local History Annual Meeting, September 2011.
- Speaker, “Before L.A.: Cliff May’s Beginnings in San Diego,” Save Our Heritage Organisation Lecture Series, March 2011.
- Women Who Dared: A Guide to the Places in Rockville Where Women Dared to Challenge Expectations Both in Society and in Themselves by Mary A. van Balgooy, Peerless Rockville Historic Preservation, Ltd., 2010.
Representative Organizations that Have Hosted or Sponsored Our Workshops, Publications, or Educational Sessions
- American Association for State and Local History
- American Association of Museums
- Association for Living Historical Farms and Agricultural Museums
- Blackstone River Valley Heritage Corridor
- California Council for the Promotion of History
- California Preservation Foundation
- Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust
- Kansas Preservation Alliance
- McFaddin-Ward Museum Conference on Historic House Museums
- Museum Educators of Southern California
- New York State Bureau of Museums
- National Preservation Conference
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Partners for Sacred Places
- Society of California Archivists
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Southern California
- Western Museums Association
- Workman and Temple Family Homestead Museum
For more information, contact Max van Balgooy at EngagingPlaces, LLC.