The opportunities for sharpening your skills as an historic site interpreter continue to grow online, sometimes even for free. Here are a sampling of a few non-degree granting organizations where you’ll find workshops and classes on the Internet to keep your thinking fresh and improve your technique. All times are Eastern unless noted.
- Embracing 360 Engagement, Widening the Circle. September 2, 2014 at 2:00 pm Eastern.
- Building Trust through High Performance, Becoming Essential. December 3 at 2:00 pm.
American Association for State and Local History
- Historic House Calls: Using Futures Thinking to Navigate Ongoing Change. August 20, 2014 at 2:00 pm. Free for AASLH members.
- Writing the Grant: What’s the Process Like? August 27 at 3:00 pm. $115; $40 members.
- Art and Inquiry: Museum Teaching Strategies for Your Classroom. Ended April 6 but so closely related, I had to mention it.
- Emerging Trends and Technologies in the Virtual K-12 Classroom. Starts August 18, 2014 for 5 weeks. Free.
- Making Better Group Decisions: Voting, Judgment Aggregation, and Fair Division. Starts August 25 for 7 weeks. Free.
- Foundations for Teaching for Learning 1: Introduction. Starts September 1 for 6 weeks. Free.